Any entity or individual involved in international trade are required to get Import Export Code, except for the following categories of importers or exporters:
- Importers covered by clause 3(1) [except sub-clauses(e) and (l)]
- Exporters covered by clause 3(2) [except sub-clauses (i) and (k)] of Foreign Trade (Exemption from application of Rules in certain cases) Order, 1993.
- Ministries/ Departments of Central or State Government.
- Persons importing or exporting goods for personal use not connected with trade or manufacture or agriculture.
- Persons importing/exporting goods from/ to Nepal, Myanmar through Indo-Myanmar border areas and China (through Gunji, Namgaya Shipkila, and Nathula ports), provided CIF value of a single consignment does not exceed Indian Rs.25,000. In the case of Nathula port, the applicable value ceiling will be Rs.100,000.