The kind of Food businesses that require FSSAI License
Food License or FSSAI was established to achieve three objectives:
- Framing an integrated Food Law
- Prioritizing Consumer Safety
- Harmonizing food standards with international regulations.
Every Food Business Operator (FBO) in India needs to be licensed or registered under the Food Safety Standards Act 2006. Under FSSAR, licensing is a two-tier system involving central and State Licensing. In this blog, we will be looking into the kind of business that requires FSSAI License.
Kind of Food Businesses that comes under central licensing:
- Dairy units including milk chilling units equipped to handle or process more than 50 thousand liters of liquid milk/day or 2500 MT of milk solid per annum.
- Vegetable oil processing units and units producing vegetable oil by the process of solvent extraction and refineries including oil expeller unit having installed capacity more than 2 MT per day.
- All slaughterhouses equipped to slaughter more than 50 large animals or 150 or more small animals including sheep and goats or 1000 or more poultry birds per day.
- Meat processing units equipped to handle or process more than 500 kg of meat per day or 150 MT per annum.
- All food processing units other than mentioned under point.1 to point.4 including relabellers and repackers having installed capacity more than 2 MT/day except grains, cereals, and pulses milling units.
- 100 % Export Oriented Units
- All Importers importing food items for commercial use.
- Retail chains operating in three or more states.
- Food catering services in establishments and units under Central government Agencies like Railways, Air and airport, Seaport, Defence etc.
Kind of Food Businesses that comes under State licensing:
License for commencing or carrying on the food business, which is not covered under central licensing shall be granted by the concerned State Licensing Authority.
- Food Processor
In conclusion, this means almost every Food Business Operator is required to get Food License. Wazzeer has helped a number of Food startups in all legal, accounting, and secretarial services, we would be very happy to help you. Just in case you want our expert advice, do let us know.