With GST replacing most of the indirect tax especially VAT and Service Tax, it becomes necessary for existing suppliers (registered at respective tax authority) to migrate to GST at earliest. GST Registration is necessary to claim Input tax credit or to collect the tax from customers
LIABILITY TO GET REGISTERED UNDER GST
Any supplier having an aggregate turnover of Rs. 20 Lakhs or more needs to be registered at State from where it makes a taxable supply of Goods and Services. This limit is Rs.10 Lakhs if the business is carried out in the North Eastern States including Sikkim.
MIGRATION TO GST
Section 166 of Model GST law provides for Migration of existing taxpayers. Here existing taxpayer means assesses registered under any acts as specified, i.e.
- Central Excise
- Service Tax
- State Sales Tax/VAT
- Entry Tax
- Luxury Tax and
- Entertainment Tax (except levied by the local bodies).
Existing Taxpayers are legally required to register themselves at GST Platform.
The whole procedure of Migration can be divided into two parts:
- Issuance of Provisional ID &Password – In order to get your GST Number, you need to get a provisional Id and password. The government has digitized the whole procedure. For your provisional ID, you need to log in to the website of Automation of Central Excise and Service Tax using existing aces user id.
The ID is issued only to those persons who have PAN associated with their registration. Only one provisional ID is issued in case state and PAN associated with the business is same. Every person registered under Central Excise/ Service Tax is provided with GST Identification Number. This is a Provisional Registration.
- GST Registration: GST REG20 is required to be filled after receiving the provisional ID. A unique username and password are to be created using above provisional id and password at GST Registration Portal (www.gst.gov.in).
After username is created you need to upload supporting documents. After providing requisite details, and uploading necessary documents, it is required to be verified by the Authorized Signatory required to do so as per nature of the business. Once above steps are completed, Application Reference Number (ARN) is issued to the taxpayer in 15 minutes. Once an assessed has ARN he migrates to GST with A provisional Certificate issued to him in GST REG- 21. The Provisional Registration converts into GST registration if he is required to be registered under GST Act otherwise GST REG 24 is issued.
Documents Required for Migration:
- Proof of Constitution of Business depending upon nature of the business.
- Passport Photos and Details of Promoter/ Partner/ Director/ Karta
- Proof of Appointment of Authorized Signatory and Photo
- Address Proof of Principal Place of business and additional places if any
- Details of Bank Accounts with statements or at least first page of statement
- Details of Goods and Services Supplied
All documents must not be more than 1mb and in Pdf format. Pictures shall be in JPEG with a max size of 100 KB. We will be glad to help you with the GST migration, let’s connect.