Ayurveda or the revolutionary remarks by Patanjali and growing demand for organically developed cosmetic products is catching up blazing demand, and with many startups focusing on developing products that are Homemade or 100% Natural this sector is catching eyes of investors globally. The manufacturing, distribution, and selling of cosmetic products are governed by The Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940 and The Cosmetics and drugs rules 1945.
Cosmetics are products that are intended to be rubbed, poured, sprinkled or sprayed on, or introduced into, or otherwise applied to, the human body or any part thereof for cleansing, beautifying, promoting attractiveness, or altering the appearance and includes any article intended for use as a component of cosmetic. For manufacturing, distribution and selling of cosmetic products license are mandatory. Manufacturing license is valid for is valid for 5 years.
Major Categories under which cosmetics have been divided as:
- Powders like Face powder, cake makeup, compacts, face packs, masks, and rouges, etc.
- Creams, lotions, emulsions, pastes, cleansing milk, shampoos, pomade, brilliantine, shaving creams and hair oils etc.
- Nail Polishes and Nail Lacquers.
- Lipsticks and Lip-gloss, etc.
- Preparations used for Eyes
- Alcoholic Fragrance Solutions.
- Hair Dyes
- Tooth powders and toothpaste, etc.:
- Toilet Soaps
- Sanitary pads
Procedure to acquire the manufacturing license:
- Fill Form 31with a license fee of Rs.2500 and an inspection fee of rupees 1000 for every inspection.
- Application to manufacture additional items of cosmetics shall be accompanied by a fee of Rs 100 for each item subject to a maximum of Rs. 3000 for each application.
- The Inspector or Inspectors from Licensing Authority will conduct on the premise and generate a report.
- Once the authority is satisfied that your premise abides by the standards, it will provide you the license.
- If cosmetics are to be manufactured at more than one place, a separate application for each premise need to be made and separate license needs to be obtained for each premise.
Documents to be furnished along with Application to acquire license:
- Affidavit of Applicant
- List of machines installed for manufacturing
- List of laboratory equipment
- Valid NOC from Pollution Control Board
- Rent/Lease Agreement in case premises is taken on rent or lease.
- Plan layout of the premises.
Conditions for the grant of Manufacturing Licence:
- Technical Staff consisting of at least one person who is a whole-time employee and who holds a Diploma in Pharmacy approved by the Pharmacy Council of India or registered under the Pharmacy Act, or has passed the Intermediate Examination with Chemistry as one of the subjects or an examination recognized by the Licensing Authority as equivalent to it.
- The factory premises shall comply with the requirements and conditions specified in Schedule M-II
- The Applicant must decide for Licensing Authority to conduct such tests.
In case you need any assistance in legal or accounting or secretarial services, things can be consulted and delivered seamlessly on Wazzeer platform -> “Get your Wazzeer”