Benefits of FSSAI license
FSSAI license certifies that food is tested and the hygiene, sanitary and safety requirements as set by government of India have been followed by the business entity.
Punishment for carrying on business without FSSAI license
The Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 strictly prohibits any person or food business operator to engage into manufacturing, selling, distribution or imports of any food product without FSSAI license, punishment with imprisonment for 6 months and also with a fine upto Rs. 5,00,000.
Who does not require FSSAI?
Any small food business operator who manufactures or sells any food item himself or a petty retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor or temporary stall holder or distributes foods including in any religious or social gathering except a caterer are exempted from FSSAI license, but it is mandatory for them to register with Food Authority. The annual turnover of these Food Business Operator is less than Rs. 12 lakhs. Once these Petty food business operators register with Food Authority, Certificate of Registration and a photo identity card.
Categories of FSSAI license: 2 types, Central and State, depending upon the turnover /output or storage capacity of Food business operator.
1. State Fsssai license is mandatory for food Business operator(FBO) if:
- Its Annual turnover of FBO is above 12 lakhs, or
- It is 3 star hotels and above, or
- If Transporter having 100 vehicles or turn over up to 30 crore
- Its annual turnover is above Rs. 20 crores, or
- Its business operations in more than one state, or
- Any FBO is engaged in import or export of food products, or
- It is Five-star Hotels and above
Documents Required for FSSAI State and Central License:
- Blueprint or layout plan of the processing unit
- List of Directors or partners with full address and contact details
- Photo ID and address proof issued by Government authority of Proprietor or Partner or Director(s)
- Name and List of Equipment and Machinery along with their number, installed capacity
- List of food category desired to be manufactured. (In case of manufacturers).
- Authority letter with name and address of responsible person nominated by the manufacturer along with alternative responsible person indicating the powers vested with them viz assisting the officers in inspections, a collection of samples, packing & dispatch. (Mandatory for manufacturing and processors).
- Analysis report (Chemical & Bacteriological) of water to be used as an ingredient in food from a recognized or public health laboratory to confirm the portability (mandatory only for manufacturing and processing units only).
- A Copy of sale deed or Rent agreement or electricity bill
- A copy of Partnership Deed or Affidavit or AOA & MOA towards the constitution of the firm.
- A copy of certificate obtained under Co-Op Act 1861/Multi State Co-Op Act 2002 for Co-Operatives. (if applicable).
- Food Safety Management System plan or certificate (if any).
- Source of raw material for meat and meat processing plants. (if applicable).
- Pesticide residues report of water (for packaged drinking water business),
- NOCs from Municipality or local body. (optional)
- Supporting document proof for turnover
- Import Export?Code document issued by DGFT(dealing with import and export of food products)